Volume 5 | Issue 1 | January-June 2020 | Page: 12-15 | Md. Alauddin, A.H.M Tanvir Hasan Siddiquee, Md. Matiur Rahman, Malay Kumar Roy, Shahidul Islam khan, Md. Abdullah Al Mahmud
Authors : Md. Alauddin , A.H.M Tanvir Hasan Siddiquee , Md. Matiur Rahman , Malay Kumar Roy , Shahidul Islam khan , Md. Abdullah Al Mahmud 
 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mymensingh Medical College, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rangpur Medical College, Rangpur, Bangladesh.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Md. Alauddin,
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mymensingh Medical College, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
Inadvertent Dural tear (DT) is a possible feared complication of spinal surgery. This is a prospective study of 430 consecutive patients with different types of lumber spinal surgery within the period of ‘January 2010 to December 2018′. Aim of the study is to evaluate incidence of dural tear (DT) with risk factors, compare between DT and non DT group with outcome. Incidence of dural tear were more on patients with older age, degenerative spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, re-operative surgery, multiple level surgery and with instrumentation. No significance sex difference found. Postoperative complications were more and outcome poor in DT group in comparison to non DT group. Every spine surgeon should be aware of possible dural tear and must know how to deal it.
Keywords: Dural Tear (DT); DT group; Non DT group.
1. SK Kalevski, NA Peev, MD and DG Haritonova. Incidental Dural Tears in Lumber Decompressive Surgery: incidence,causes, treatment, results. Asian JNeurosurg. 2010 janjun: 5(1) : 54-59, PMCID :PMC 3198662.
2. Hiroyuki Yoshira and Daisuke Yonevka.Incidental Dural Tears in spine surgery: analysis of a nationwide data base. Eur Spine J. 2014Feb; 23(2): 389-394.published online 2013 Nov9. PMCID: PMC 3906460.
3. SerdalAlbayrak ,SaetOzturk, Omer Ayden and NecatiUcler. Dural Tear: A Feared Complication of Lumber Discectomy. JTNEPUB_14065_online.pdf.
4. Yossi Smorgick, MD, Kevin C Baker PhD, Harry Herkowitz MD, David Montgomery, MD, Siddhorth A Badve MD, Casey Bachison MD, Steven Ericksen MD and Jeffrey S Fischgrund MD. Predisposing factors for Dural tear in patients undergoing Lumber Spine surgery. J Neurosurg Spine22: 483-486, 2015.
5. S Wolff, W Kheirredene, G Roudhon. Surgical Dural Tears: Prevalence and updated management protocol based on 1359 lumber vertebrae interventions.Orthopaedic& Traumatology: Surgery & Research (2012)98, 879-886.
6. Sin AH, Caldito G, Smith D, Rashidi M, Willis B and Nanda A : Predictive factors for dural tears and cerebrospinal fluid leakage in patients undergoing lumber surgery.J Neurosurg Spine 5 : 224-227,2006.
7. Wang Jc, BohlmanHH,Riew KD : Dural tears secondary to operations in the lumber spine. Management and results after two year minimum follow up of eighty eight patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 80: 1728-1732, 1998.
8. Deyo RA, Cherkin Dc, Loeser DJ, Bigos SJ, CiolMA: morbidity and mortality in association with operations on lumber spine. The influence of age,diagnosis and procedure. J Bone Joint Surg Am 74: 536-543, 1992.
9. KalevskiSK,Peev NA, Haritonov DG : Incidental dural tear tears in lumber decompressive surgery : incidence, causes, treatment, results. Asian J Neurosurg5 : 54-59, 2010.
10. Luca Proitti, Laura Scaramuzzo, Giusappo K Schiro, Sergio Sessa and Carlo A logroscino : Complications in Lumber Spine Surgery . A retrospective analysis. Indian J Orthop.2013 jul-aug; 47(4):340-345.
|How to Cite this Article: Alauddin M, Siddiquee AHMTH, Rahman MM, Roy MK, khan SI, Mahmud MAA | A prospective Study of Dural Tears among 430 cases of Lumber Spine Surgery | International Journal of Spine| January-June 2020; 5(1): 12-15.