Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Jan – June 2019 | Page 31-34 | Dhiraj V Sonawane, Bipul Kumar Garg, Harshit Dave, Shrikant Savant
Authors : Dhiraj V Sonawane , Bipul Kumar Garg , Harshit Dave , Shrikant Savant 
 Sir J.J. Group of Hospitals, Byculla Mumbai(400001).
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Bipul Kumar Garg,
Assistant Professor, Dept of Orthopaedics, J.J. Group of Hospitals Mumbai.
Email id: email@example.com
Tuberculosis disease is commonly caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The higher incidence and prevalence of tuberculosis is a common health problem particularly in developing countries. Spinal tuberculosis usually represents at advanced levels and diagnosis of this disease is not easy. Patients with spinal tuberculosis usually present with gibbus formation, back ache, low grade fever, neurological symptoms and deficits. Although, commonly seen in dorsal spine lesions, cervical and cervico-thoracic lesions with spine tuberculosis rarely seen in literature. Isolated tuberculosis of cervical spine is a rare entity and accounts for incidence of 3 to 5 percent. Early clinical diagnosis and management is great challenge in toddler group. Herein, we would like to present a 12 year old patient of C3 vertebral body tuberculosis with 90 percent collapse with neurological deficits and its management.
Keywords: vertebrae plana, tuberculosis, cervical spine
1. Di Lorenzo N, Fortuna A, Guidetti B : Craniovertebral junction malformations. Clinicoradiological findings, long-term results, and surgical indications in 63 cases. J Neurosurg 57 : 603-608, 1982
2. Seung Won Choi, Han Yu Seong,, Sung Woo Roh. Case report – Spinal Extradural Arachnoid Cyst, J Korean Neurosurg Soc 54: 355-358, 2013
3. Netra R, Min L, Shao Hui M, Wang JC, Bin Y, Ming Z : Spinal extradural meningeal cysts : an MRI evaluation of a case series and literature review. J Spinal Disord Tech 24 : 132-136, 2011
4. Elsberg CA, Dyke CG, Brewer ED: The symptoms and diagnosis of extradural cysts. Bull Neurol Inst NY 3:395–417,1934
5. Bergland RM: Congenital intraspinal extradural cyst. Report of three cases in one family. J Neurosurg 28:495–499, 1968
6. Yabuki S, Kikuchi S: Multiple extradural arachnoid cysts: report of two operated cousin cases. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E585–E588, 2007
7. Lee CH, Hyun SJ, Kim KJ, Jahng TA, Kim HJ : What is a reasonable surgical procedure for spinal extradural arachnoid cysts : is cyst removal mandatory? Eight consecutive cases and a review of the literature. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 154 : 1219-1227, 2012
8. Oh JK, Lee DY, Kim TY, Yi S, Ha Y, Kim KN, et al. : Thoracolumbar extradural arachnoid cysts : a study of 14 consecutive cases. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 154 : 341-348; discussion 348, 2012
9. Hyndman OR, Gerber WF: Spinal extradural cysts, congenital and acquired; report of cases. J Neurosurg 3:474–486, 1946
10. Aaron E. Bond, Gab riel Zada, Ira Bowen, J. Gordon McComb, and Mark D. Krieger,:Spinal arachnoid cysts in the pediatric population: report of31 cases and a review of the literature, J Neurosurg Pediatrics 9:000–000, 2012
11. McCrum C, Williams B: Spinal extradural arachnoid pouches. Report of two cases. J Neurosurg 57:849–852, 1982
12. Sandberg DI, McComb JG, Krieger MD: Chemical analysis of fluid obtained from intracranial arachnoid cysts in pediatric patients. J Neurosurg 103 (5 Suppl):427–432, 2005
13. Nabors MW, Pait TG, Byrd EB, Karim NO, Davis DO, Kobrine AI, et al. : Updated assessment and current classification of spinal meningeal cysts. J Neurosurg 68 : 366-377, 1988
14. Perret G, Green D, Keller J: Diagnosis and treatment of intradural arachnoid cysts of the thoracic spine. Radiology 79: 425–429, 1962
15. Rabb CH, McComb JG, Raffel C, Kennedy JG: Spinal arachnoid cysts in the pediatric age group: an association with neural tube defects. J Neurosurg 77:369–372, 1992
16. Cloward RB: Congenital spinal extradural cysts: case report with review of literature. Ann Surg 168:851–864, 1968
17. Kriss TC, Kriss VM: Symptomatic spinal intradural arachnoid cyst development after lumbar myelography. Case report and review of the literature. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:568– 572, 1997
18. De Oliveira RS, Amato MC, Santos MV, Simão GN, Machado HR.: Extradural arachnoid cysts in children.Childs Nerv Syst. 2007 Nov;23(11):1233-8.
19. Ertan Ergun, Alp OzgunBorcek, BerkerCemil, FikretDogulu, M. KemaliBaykaner: Should We Operate all Extradural Spinal Arachnoid Cysts? Report of a Case, Turkish Neurosurgery 2008, Vol: 18, No: 1, 52-55
20. Lee SH, Shim HK, Eun SS.: Twist technique for removal of spinal extradural arachnoid cyst: technical note.Eur Spine J. 2014 Aug;23(8):1755-60
21. Chang IC, Chou MC, Bell WR, Lin ZI: Spinal cord compressioncaused by extradural arachnoid cysts. PediatrNeurosurg 40:70–74, 2004
22. Neo M, Koyama T, Sakamoto T, Fujibayashi S, Nakamura T: Detection of a dural defect by cinematic magnetic resonance imaging and its selective closure as a treatment for a spinal extradural arachnoid cyst. Spine 29: 426–430, 2004
23. Novak L, Dobai J, Nemeth T, Fekete M, Prinzinger A, Csecsei GI: Spinal extradural arachnoid cyst causing cord compression in a 15-year-old girl: a case report. ZentralblNeurochir 66: 43–46, 2005
24. Novak L, Dobai J, Nemeth T, Fekete M, Prinzinger A, Csecsei GI: Spinal extradural arachnoid cyst causing cord compression in a 15-year-old girl: a case report. ZentralblNeurochir 66: 43–46, 2005
|How to Cite this Article: Sonawane DV, Garg BK, Dave H, Singh V, Chandanwale A. Multiple Spinal Extradural Arachnoid Cyst : A Case Report. International Journal of Spine Jan-June 2019;4(1):31-34.